Monday, March 25, 2013

PEPPERONI STUFFED CHICKEN PARMESAN

Both my husband and I love Italian food and I find myself making some sort of pasta dish once a week. And while neither one of us want to give up pasta completely, I have been trying to limit it to a side dish instead of the main course.  Growing up my mother and grandfather used to make chicken parmesan quite frequently and I loved it! However, when I met my husband, I quickly learned that for some reason chicken parmesan is one of his least favorite meals.  The outcome? I just don't make it. :(  But today I decided to make a variation and see if I could change my husband's mind....the new outcome? He really liked it! I was shocked! And the best part? It's healthy!!!



WHAT YOU NEED:
*4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (butterflied)
*2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
*12-16 slices pepperoni
*Oregano
*Salt & pepper
*1 clove garlic, minced

*1 jar spaghetti sauce
*1/2 box spaghetti, cooked


WHAT YOU DO:

Preheat oven to 450* and spray a glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray.  Butterfly boneless, skinless chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.  On one half of each chicken breast, place minced garlic, oregano, mozzarella cheese, and 3-4 slices of pepperoni. Fold other half over and secure with toothpick if needed.

On top of chicken breasts, place additional minced garlic, oregano, and spoon spaghetti sauce on top.  Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.  Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top. Return to oven until cheese is melted.  Serve with a side of spaghetti!


This tastes amazing and it is super healthy.  I think it tastes even better than the breaded and fried version!



No comments:

Post a Comment